Saturday, June 18, 2016

Final Blog: Reflection



Almost a month passed since the end of our Study Abroad program. During this month I have been thinking about what I have learned about myself, about others, about Europe, and United States. In this final blog I would like to share what Study Abroad program has taught me, what discoveries I have made throughout this trip, and how I can use this experience in future.
To be completely honest, I was really nervous about this trip. I have never been so far away from my family for so long. Even though I grew up in Russia, I have never been in Europe. So, I had no idea what to expect from this trip. I was worried about everything: language barrier, different food, money issues, safety, local people, transportation and so on. It all turned out great, and now I just smile when I am thinking about how silly my worries were. Language barrier is not such a big issue in Europe, most people there can understand English. When you travel to smaller towns you may face language barrier challenges, but as you travel more you learn how to handle this issue. Besides, most people in Europe were very friendly, hospitable, and patient; they will try to help you even if they are not able to understand your language.
Another issue I worried about was food. When you live in a different country for almost three months you have to get used to their food, and it is going to be very different from the food you had back home. Thankfully, there are many American style restaurants and fast food places in Europe, so you will not die from hunger if you refuse to eat their traditional meals. Surprisingly, I really enjoyed some of the unusual European cuisine, even though I did not like trying new things back home. Not only the food there was different but also the way they serve it. In American restaurants they will try to serve you as quickly as possible, and the waiter will come to you multiple times and ask how was your meal and if you need anything else. In Czech Republic, you would have to wait forever for your meal. The waiter will come to you only twice: to take your order and to bring you food. Oh well, they do not get tips in Czech Republic, so I guess it makes sense.
Safety issue was my greatest fear, which now seems ridiculous to me. Honestly, I felt more secure in Europe than back in United States. I was not afraid to walk by myself at night and I never locked my room. In fact, I traveled by myself quite often and there was not even a moment when I felt uncomfortable or scared. If a few months ago somebody would say that I will travel in Europe by myself I would not believe them. Back in United States I was very dependent, I was always surrounded by people and I would never try new things by myself. In Europe I learned that discovering new things on your own is great; you get a sense of freedom, independence, and excitement. In fact, I think that solo traveling was the greatest thing I have done in my life. It teaches you to adapt to new places quickly, to be independent and self-motivated and to never be afraid to face challenges.

Overall, I believe Study Abroad program is such a great opportunity to see the world, learn the culture and history of different countries, and, most importantly, meet new people from different backgrounds. It is so fascinating to learn different customs and traditions, taste new food, and just experience unique atmosphere and lifestyle of different places. I also believe that Study Abroad program can help the student to develop some communication, listening, and team playing skills as they get to meet people from all kind of backgrounds. Therefore, I would definitely recommend this program to all students; it is a life changing experience you cannot miss! 
Our group all together
Goodbye Olomouc!

No comments:

Post a Comment